Sunday, October 09, 2005

Go East, Young Man...


As I pass another dark night of the soul with only my little wireless for company and the dying embers of my stove for warmth, thoughts arise of spending some time ashore. Its been a while since I enjoyed the company of others (apart from the welcome hails from passing boats), and I'm a bit unsure of my ability to truly immerse myself once again in the society of man.

In recent weeks, as the horizon shows yet more water and little else, I have taken great comfort from this web log. Thank God in His mercy for satellite communications, allowing me to fire off these little missives - a sort of 21st century message in a bottle!

Anyway, I've been weighing up whether I should pass some months (a year, even) amongst my fellows. My fear, I suppose, is that I will not be able for it - too used to solitude, you see. And my greater fear is that I will like it too much and not want to set sail again. That, for me, is captivity and death.

As I consider these things, the only place which appeals is Japan - Tokyo, to be specific. I've never been to this exciting and mysterious place - though I've heard much about it over the years, of course.

In Tokyo, the old and new stand side-by-side, with huge office buildings dwarfing tiny zen temples. I think I would like that. Of course, I will have to learn the language. Can't get away with the usual trick of using english, but raising my voice and gesturing.

And culturally, Japan is very different from western countries - quite a challenge, I imagine.

Anyway, I will continue to mull it over. If any of you can advise me, I'd be delighted to read your comments. You can mail me at: egbertblah@gmail.com or just post a comment here.

The question is, I think, do I want change for change's sake - or do I truly need the company of my fellow men to survive, to prove to myself that I exist as more than these thoughts. More than this message in a bottle.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever thought about having less empty bottles in your ship? Sell the full bottles to the nips and steal their women while they are drunk! Steal their swords and sell them in the western countries, the whitish buy any crap japanese piece of steel! After ten trips we will buy a fleet, and conquer the world! Resistance is futile!

Captain Blah said...

I likes they way me bottles clink in the night!

But I don't like the word 'nips' - not a nice way to talk about a nice people.

I like whiting - but I never did see one buying anything (except maybe a small bottle of rum for the Cap'n).