Friday, January 19, 2007

Blair On Trial


Last night I steered me little vessel as close as I could get to England, so I could pick up a bit of their telly. My reason was to see the much plugged TV drama "The Trial of Tony Blair." It portrayed the dismal experience of post-Prime Minister Blair. Nobody wants to know him, his memoirs are recognised as the grandiose meanderings of a fantasist and he is in danger of being extradited for war crimes, as a result of his illegal actions during the invasion and occupation of Iraq. It made for compelling, if uncomfortable, viewing. I actually began to feel quite sorry for the man as his world collapsed around him. The magnificent actor, Robert Lindsey, played Blair with an unworldly pathos - his grandiosity and helplessness dragging him further and further down. In one scene a policeman makes a remark about the suffering of the Iraqi people - Blair responds "Oh, great - a politically motivated policeman." The copper answered, "No sir, just a human being."


Now, I have no intention of spoiling this excellent drama by saying any more about the plot, but it was an interesting excerise, exploring the possible (if not very likely) scenario whereby Blair is called to account for his involvement in the deaths of thousands of Iraqis. Certainly, the plot was a bit far-fetched and the characterisations a little melodramatic - but for all that it was compelling viewing.


And it addressed the barren landscape of Blair's post-PM life. This brings to mind the question of his life after Downing street. What will he do, I wonder? I wouldn't be surprised if he eventually went to live in America - at least there some people like him.

No comments: