Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Oops...


Obama has taken quite a thoughtful approach in assembling his cabinet, with one worrying exception - appointing Hillary Clinton his Secretary of State. Wow, this is a major mistake as she has been campaigning against him for months and it is squarely in her interest for his government to fail.

What might this bizarre gesture mean? What might have prompted him to take this unlovely step? These questions have preoccupied me for a while now, and I have no answers. But I will share with you the possible answers which occur to me:

1. This was the price of her (and Bill's) endorsement;
2. He reckons that you should keep your enemies close; or,
3. Obama plans to use this appointment to somehow tarnish Hillary.

The first two seem to me to be the most likely as Obama seems too decent a man to conspire to damage Hillary in such a fashion. It is also possible, I suppose, that the great and the good demanded she be offered such a sop.

I suppose we shall see what happens in the fullness of time, but this appointment must be of concern to those who campaigned against the former First Lady and saw her ruthlessness up close.

No comments: